International Experience Options
The ESMT MBA program attracts one of the world’s most diverse classes with 90-95% of students coming from outside Germany and spanning over 30 countries. This ensures that international teamwork will be a big part of your studies and, with so many nationalities in a small classroom setting, intercultural dialog is a unique part of the ESMT MBA.
But what if you want more? Take advantage of one or more of these optional international experiences.
Exchange partners and incoming exchange students can find more information about an exchange at ESMT on this dedicated webpage.
Long international exchange (6-12 weeks)
If you would like a longer international study experience, consider studying for your electives at one of our global partner schools. In addition to experiencing a new country, you will be able to access student activities, career service support, and on-campus recruitment events at the exchange school.
No additional tuition fees are required but you will need to cover your travel, accommodation, visa, insurance, and living costs.
Study German before and during the program
If you want to establish your career in Germany – particularly outside of Berlin - learning German is strongly advised. There are multiple ways in which du dein Deutsch verbessern kannst (you can improve your German).
In coordination with GLS Sprachenzentrum Berlin (German Language School Berlin), take intensive German language courses before the MBA program begins.
To enroll in a German course, the latest we recommend you submit your MBA application is by round 4 if you are coming from outside the EU (29 June), or round 5 if you are coming from an EU country (17 August). Costs for the course will vary but, as an ESMT student, you will receive a discounted rate. For more specific and up-to-date information and rates, please contact the Admissions Office.
During your MBA
Continue your language learning while you study, all of which are offered at no additional cost to you:
- Foundation: from April to July, take part in German language evening classes
- Summer term: choose the 6-week intensive Sommer-Sprachschule
- Electives: sign up for the Business German elective
If you have always wondered what it is like to work in a particular industry or function in Germany or further afield, secure yourself a summer internship. This could be the springboard to changing your career and you will get valuable experience as you apply what you have learned in the program so far.
Short international exchange (1 week)
ESMT is part of the Global Network for Advanced Management, a partnership between 31 prestigious business schools worldwide. Our membership gives you access to Global Network Weeks - short, one-week, exchange opportunities that take place in October each year. While no additional tuition is incurred, you will need to budget enough for travel and accommodation.
Most recently, students attended class at:
- Asian Institute of Management (Philippines)
- EGADE Business School (Mexico)
- FGV Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil)
- Fudan University School of Management (China)
- Haas School of Business, University of California Berkeley (USA)
- IE Business School (Spain)
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (India)
- Koç University (Turkey)
- Lagos Business School (Nigeria)
- Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO (Russia)
- National University of Singapore Business School (Singapore)
- Saïd Business School, University of Oxford (United Kingdom)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica (Chile)
- SDA Bocconi School of Management (Italy)
- UBC Sauder (Canada)
- UCD Smurfit (Ireland)
- University of Indonesia Faculty of Economics (Indonesia)
- UNSW Business School (Australia)
- Yale School of Management (USA)
Please note that places at certain exchange partners are limited and the list of participating schools may change.
The most recent class offered by ESMT Berlin was 'Sustainable Finance, Investing and Impact' taught by Prof. Per Olsson. It covered the role of the financial sector in the transition to a long-term sustainable economy, and gave an overview of the field of sustainable finance, its drivers, trends, and products.