DEEP - Institute for Deep Tech Innovation
The DEEP - Institute for Deep Tech Innovation is the newest addition to ESMT's institute landscape. Started in September 2022, it focuses on the deep tech value chain and intends to overhaul it through educating & enabling all actors involved. The goal: change the way deep tech is coming to life, so rebuilding the entire path from basic research to a thriving venture, a global champion even, by sustainably instilling entrepreneurial thinking & acting in the scientific sphere and beyond.
So what is it exactly that we do?
Cross Reference: incubator, accelerator, company builder, entrepreneurship center, entrepreneurship academy, tech transfer office, venture capital fund, venture lab
- We focus on verticals, which a) have high impact on people, planet, and profit; b) are predestined for deep tech solutions, and c) leverage the strengths of the European ecosystem. For a start, we are zeroing in on VERTICAL #1: LIFE SCIENCES, soon exploring further verticals to follow up on.
- We tailor to the individual need by looking at vertical-specific challenges. This way we (co-)design measures intended to overcome particular hurdles on the journey from basic research to global champion. Meaning:
- We offer entrepreneurship education for future entrepreneurs, scientists, engineers and leaders in scientific organizations.
- We support start-up creation and acceleration by working closely with entrepreneurs, scientists, research organizations and their tech transfer offices to commercialize IP and build deep tech companies
- We foster environments and support infrastructure solutions that are conducive for tech transfer projects and deep tech scale-ups.
- We rethink and redo entrepreneurial financing mechanisms. What this looks like, well, stay tuned.
- We draw on scientific insights from the Joachim Faber Chair of Technology and Innovation and the former Center for Decisions, Models, and Data, which back up and provide guiding evidence for DEEP's portfolio of activities in the name of understanding deep tech innovation. So you will get applied research for applied science.