Social and environmental impact
Sustainable Business Transformation Initiative
In June 2021, ESMT Berlin launched the Sustainable Business Transformation Initiative. The goal of this initiative is to increase our academic footprint in research and education on critical areas with impact for business and society. We want to provide innovative solutions to global environmental and social challenges. This initiative was the first step towards the establishment of the FUTURE Institute for Sustainable Transformation, launched on November 2, 2021 at the COP26 in Glasgow. The institute will strengthen partnerships with external stakeholders and expand faculty expertise in multiple thematic areas related to sustainable business. These include professorships in sustainable finance and accounting impact measurement, circular business, and energy markets and transition.
As a part of the initiative, Deutsche Bank supports the establishment of a professorship in sustainable finance at ESMT. The professorship underpins our commitment to promoting economic growth while reducing pressure on the natural environment and taking Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors into consideration. It will examine incentives and risk-sharing options, providing important insights into future policy frameworks.
Sustainability at ESMT
The Sustainability Ambassadors at ESMT aim to transform ESMT Berlin into a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly campus, by engaging both students and staff in initiatives whereby they can educate themselves and bring sustainability initiatives to life. The ambassadors are led by Net Impact ESMT.
We run multiple initiatives aimed at raising sustainability awareness and incorporating sustainable choices into everyday life and drive long-term change. Here are some examples:
- (Under review) Informational stickers and posters around campus that promote sustainable choices
- (Under review) Introduction of sustainable printing solutions and environmentally friendly office supplies
- (Ongoing) Carbon accounting: Plan A
- (Ongoing) Providing more sustainable and healthier snack and food options on campus
- (Completed) Introduction of re-usable coffee mugs on campus; additionally re-usable take out bowls in the cafeteria
- (Under review) Composting on campus
- (Under review) Recycling training/awareness
- (Under review) Grüner Punkt - Recycling bins
- (Completed) Introduction of a 3-bin recycling system on campus
- (In development) B-Corp Certification
Climate Governance Initiative
ESMT Berlin, together with the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE) and Board Academy e.V., has joined the World Economic Forum’s Climate Governance Initiative and coordinates its Chapter Germany. The network aims to mobilize non-executive directors and supervisory board members (“Aufsichtsräte”) to align business models with ambitious climate policy and a set of joint Climate Governance Principles. Find more information here.